Tuesday, August 3, 2010

what a holiday!

Wow, has it been a busy and fun filled visit home! The first week was busy visiting with family and friends here in Calgary. Rob was off having fun in BC, so I took advantage of this time to see family and friends one on one. My uncle from Qatar was also visiting with his wife and 2 kids, so I spent lots of time with them. As well it was Dad's birthday the day after I arrived, so we had a nice meal with all our family at the Cattlebaron. I also had a chance to go see my grandmother in the assisted living home, as well as some good friends who I hadn't seen in ages!

Rob arrived in Calgary on the Sunday, and we took advantage of being up north by visiting Peter's Drive-In, man I love their milkshakes! We had one day together, which involved a lot of packing the van, as the next day we headed out to Grand Prairie, stopping in Leduc for the night. I have an 'arctic' friend that now lives in Leduc, so we stopped for the night and had a great visit. The next day, Wednesday, we left early in the morning and headed to La Glace, which is just north of Grand Prairie. The next 5 days were spent camping where our family reunion on my mom's side was being hosted. It was a blast, with lots of drinking, lots of family visiting, a lots of games! We went in the gold tournament, which we came in last place, played horseshoes, played in the cribbage tournament, as well as a poker tournament, which I won the 2nd tourny, winning $60! Woohoo! On the Thursday, before everyone arrived on the Friday, I had another 'arctic' friend, who was just on the other side of the BC border, come over and visit us with their 2 kids! What where the chances that we were so close at the same time! It was a great visit and so nice to see people that I hadn't seen in over 2 years :)
There were about 70 people that showed up for the reunion, which is small for the family, but we still had a great time. We had awesome campfire chats, I brought out my didgeridoo for people to try and play, as well as there where those that had their guitars, which is always a good time. The big day, Saturday, we had a pig roast. The family that hosted the reunion, had access to a home made pig roaster, and it cooked slowly all day. It was stuffed with seasoning, as well as injected with seasonings, yes, I said injected! There where also 2 turkeys cooked, well, should I say deep fried. And if you ever get the chance to eat deep fried turkey, it is SO tender and tastes amazing. As did the pork! I've never tasted pork like what we had, and it was fantastic!! All that hard work was well worth it! Thanks Duane :)

I haven't downloaded any photos yet, but I'll try and get a few of the good ones up after I have a second to breathe :) Now we're off to the English store in McKenzie town to get some English treats for Rob, then we're off to Kananaskis to visit some of my Dad's family!

Visiting my Grandma with my mom
At the family reunion, Sarah had a blast chasing squirrels
Rob and I
The pig roast
Some of the family

1 comment:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

It was great to see you Amanda! Thanks for the visit!