Thursday, March 12, 2009

I did it!! lol

Yup, I rented a car, and managed to not hurt/kill anyone or anything!!

I decided when I woke up Wednesday morning to bite the bullet and just DO IT! So I walked down to the gool ole' Hertz dealer and rented a little Hundai Getz car. It worked out to be $50, and I had a limit of 200kms. I was given an automatic, which I think I am now grateful for, but would have driven a manual. I headed out of the parking lot, and I was off. I have to admit, the hardest part for me was getting used to the fact that most of the car was to my left, not my right!! I stopped a few blocks from the dealer to have a look at a map and make sure I knew where I was going, and I hit the curb parking.....oops. I also liked to hug the left side of the road maybe a but too much and caught myself going over the white line quite a few times....but as the day went on I was better at driving in the middle! Oh yeah, and the damn signal was on the right so I kept putting on the windshield wipers when signaling!! haha
I drove to George town, 51 km's from Launceston, which was a beautiful drive - actually all of Tasmania is beautiful and I love driving!! I'd love to be a tour guide! Not much to see or do in George town, so I headed further north to Low Head where there are a bunch of light houses built in the early 1900's. I also drove to the top of Mount George for some amazing views of Tasmania as well as George town and the Tamar river. I then headed back south and crossed the Tamar river on the Batman bridge and headed back north to Beauty Point. I stopped for lunch and had some awesome fish and chips, then made my way to Seahorse house and Platypus world! I loved it! I got to see 20-minute old baby seahorses - they where so tiny, you could barely see them! As well as some very cute platypus's and echnida's!! I love the echidna's! Did you know their tongues can get as long as 18cm's.....yes CM!!! LOL! Once I finished there is was after 4, and to be honest, there was not much else to do, so I headed back home stopping a couple times at some tourist lookout points. I drove back into Launceston a different way, and was a little nervous driving in the city because it was rush hour, there are a bunch of one-ways and it is damn near impossible to find the street signs!! But I managed - phew. I took advantage of having the car and stopped at the grocery store and of course the liquor store!!
I survived the day and am glad I did it, now I won't hesitate to rent a car and do it all over again....and I'm sure I will!
Here are some pictures from the day:















2 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

See, I told you it would work out fine!! Glad you didn't run anyone over :)

Amanda said...

haha! I'm glad you encouraged me Kara!! And I am also glad I didn't run anyone over.....nor any animals....although I did see a bunch of road kill :(