Friday, March 20, 2009

once upon a time....

If anyone knows me, they know that I am not the most avid reader. I blame school. Yes, school. Once I finished university (or uni, as they say here), I was SO sick of reading text books, I had no desire WHAT-SO-EVER to read a novel! I would try and pick up a book to read, but would not get very far and then be drawn to the TV, or the internet, or I'd fall asleep, or I'd have to go to work.....excuses I know, but it just didn't happen. Even on holidays, I'd be out on the beach and within 10 minutes of reading, I'd be passed out on the beach chair snoring, literally (and not from the alcohol, lol)

When getting ready for my trip over to Australia I brought one book in the hopes that I might get up the energy to read, and yes, it takes energy! I started reading on the plane, and to be honest, I didn't think I'd finish it and I'd end up leaving it at some hostel. But to my surprise, I finished it, a couple weeks later, but I finished it. And that included reading on the beach for a time period longer then 15 minutes! I picked up another book....and finished that as well.  And you know what, I'm enjoying it! I have a west facing balcony, so when I get home from work I usually sit outside with my book and read for a couple of hours enjoying the sun, as well I usually read before bed.  I'd say most has to do with the fact that the TV here sucks....we only get 4, sometimes 5 channels, and to be honest, I have no desire to watch TV. I think since I've been in Australia (apart from watching sports, which was mainly the tennis when in Melbouren) I have only sat down in front of the TV about 5 times, no word of a lie. Even being here in Tasmania and 'settled' down, I don't really care to watch the TV. I go for regular walks, I've also joined the gym, and I've rented a few movies. I guess you could also say that I have done more cooking in the past month, then I have in the past three years!!! K, its not that bad, but I have no one to cook for me .....I miss you mom and Donna!!!! (as I look over at my very burnt garlic bread with a tear rolling down my cheek!!! haha)
I am currently on my 5th book, Dark Watch by Clive Cussler, and look forward to doing much more reading.....and hopefully it won't stop!!  Off I go to read now..... :)
And here is a picture of my burnt garlic bread....I wasn't lying :(  I wish I could say it was because I was reading, but I was chatting on-line....lol  



The picture doesn't do it justice, it was black as molasses and rock hard!!

No comments: