Thursday, December 24, 2009

Twas the night before christmas

So here I am working a night shift on Christmas eve....technically it is officially Christmas day...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

and I am completely bored!!! A good excuse to update my blog! I was going to do a nursing rendition of the poem "Twas the night before Christmas", but got stuck on the second line :) Not that imaginative I guess. Either that or haven't had enough or too much red bull!!!

So I'll just update my Christmas here in Darwin.
To be honest, its been a bit of a rough go! This is my third night shift of 4, and my first time as in-charge or team leader as they call it here. I am not working with the best of staff, of the 4, I am working with an enrolled nurse, like an LPN back home, and fairly new grad, and another nurse that is nothing but a bitchy disrespectful human being that should have NEVER taken nursing........anyways. The first night was pretty busy, trying to get myself orientated as team leader, and to be honest having to do a lot more thinking!!! Imagine that!! haha.
The second night was complete hell. Bitchy nurse was at her worst; I was supposed to have help from an attendant to watch 2 confused patients, but didn't get one so one of us had to be in the room the entire time; had patients spiking temperatures; and was trying to get through all the charts to update the care plan, among other team leader duties on night shift. Basically I did not stop working all night, a couple 5 minute breaks to use the toilet and drink some red bull, and didn't get off work till nearly 8am. Needless to say, I had a glass of wine when I got home that Christmas eve morning :)
Rob finished work early Christmas eve and after stopping for a drink or two came home at about 1:30. I woke up and vented about my shit ass night, and of course was all worked up and didn't get back to sleep. That's ok, its Christmas eve and I was prepared for that. Rob and I eventually went back to the pub, I had my one allotted glass of wine for the night, we played Keno - which we did horrible on, and had supper there. Supper wasn't really planned, but, what the heck, it was better then what we had planned at home, chicken.....and we hadn't figured out the rest yet! (and it was nothing compared to mom's lasagna and ceasar salad....mmmmm, ceasar salad!!) After a brief nap at home I prepared myself for my third night shift, and it truly was a struggle to come in knowing who I have to work with.....and I only dread the one person. Unbelievable how one person can make you feel like that.
Upon arrival to the ward I found out that we only had 15 patients (we have 30 beds) and 4 nurses. One had to float in case she was needed in maternity, so three of us have 5 patients and no one is extremely sick. Because I had one floating she was able to help with 2200 BP checks and meds ect, so by 2215, I was sitting down working on getting though all the charts! And because it was my third night, I knew most of the patients so it was a fairly easy check. By midnight I had everything that needed to be done, done, as well as even some of my morning things all prepared! Some of the staff brought in food so we munched away, and by 0300most of my staff where asleep at the desk. Nice.
So here I am typing away trying to keep myself awake, I think I am immune to red bull! haha

As for not being at home this Christmas season, it has been a bit tough! I miss my family TONS, and even though I got to see them in Cuba, I wasn't at home. I miss my dog, and the comfort of mom and dads house (my house I never really got to settle in so I don't miss it as much) I miss the fireplace, and if you can believe it, I actually kinda miss the snow.... but only for Christmas! I know, I know, I came here to get away from the snow, but it just doesn't feel like Christmas! Walking home from the pub Rob and I where saying that it can't be Christmas - the sky is blue, the grass is green and its 30 freakin' degrees out. WTF??? I didn't mean to rub that in, but it just plain seems weird. It also doesn't help that I am working and for the second year in a row, not getting drunk :(
It is going to be weird not have mom's turkey, and gravy, and potatoes, carrots ect, and of course dessert. Mom's cooking is ALWAYS the best so Rob has his work cut out for him. I get out of cooking this year because I am working nights and will be sleeping :) Food was another thing that we had to figure out. Our oven is about the size of a small microwave.....and we have very few pots/pans, and only 2 burners, which sometimes don't like to work when the oven is on. Rob found a small turkey that only takes about an hour and a half to cook and I don't know what else he has planned other then gravy! His family normally eats at about 2pm, and we are planning to go to a mates house for a couple of hours, so turkey dinner at 2pm is the plan (that is also going to be weird, normally at 2 we are snacking on Christmas treats and chilling out!) As I have to work my last night shift that night we will have to leave pretty early from our friends place, but that's ok, at least we are getting out of the house and doing something.

However, of all the things that are going to be different, and how much I wish I could be at home, I am grateful that I do have someone that I care for dearly to spend Christmas with! My thoughts and love are with all those that I can't be with and am grateful for the loving family and friends that I do have halfway across the world!

So, it is nearly 0400, 4 more hours and I will be opening Christmas presents, drinking a glass of wine and seeing the surprised look on Rob's face when he sees what I got him....... that will be later!

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all my family and friends, I miss you all so much!!!!

No comments: