Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Birthday to ME!!!!

Well what a great day my birthday was!

It was the first birthday that I have had where I actually kinda dreaded it, only because I feel like I am getting old now. Not that I am old, but approaching 30 is, well, a bit scary. However, I had a fantastic day, and am just going to have to deal with this whole 'aging' process! (I guess the fact that I have no grey hair is a good sign, right?!)

I woke up and called home right away to talk with my folks on skype. It was a great wake up call and I was told mom had already transfered $100 to my account in which I could spend in any which way I wanted! Rob also then proceeded to tell me that he had booked a 4 1/2 star hotel in the city for us that night!! I was so overwhelmed with emotion, of course I had to shed a few tears!

We packed out bags, grabbed a taxi to the train station and made our way to the city. Our hotel was pretty close so I didn't have to walk far, and it was a pretty nice one at that! A studio style type room, equipped with a stove, oven, fridge and even microwave! None of which were used, apart from the kettle the next day!

I decided to spend my mom and dad's money (heehee) on a nice dinner for Rob and I. Since watching the Australian Masterchef and loving food, and even trying new food, I've wanted to go to a nice restaurant for ages. The hotel was only 2 blocks from the Yarra river, where there are many nice restaurants to choose from. We walked around, checked out some menu's, including Gordon Ramsey's Maze, but settled on something in the middle. Of course we stopped along the way for a drink here and there, eventually ending up at a restaurant called "The Meat and Wine Co". Couldn't go wrong with that, Rob loves his steak and I love my wine. It was a 45 minute wait for a table, where we waited in the bar, starting off with a bottle of wine. I should mention that prior to this we had opened a bottle of wine at the room, as well as I had had 3 glasses of wine along the way. By the time we were seated, we had finished the bottle and only had what was left in the glass. The menu looked very appetizing and we started off with calamari. To my own surprise I ordered steak for a main, as well as did Rob, ordered medium rare, and it was cooked to perfection!

After finishing another bottle of wine, we decided it was maybe time to leave! We just happened to walk past the casino, and decided why not, it was my birthday, right?! We found a roulette table and I put my $100 on the table. I wasn't doing so bad, then my number 8 hit twice! Fantastic! I pocketed the second winning, as it was in cash, and played the rest of my chips. I did ok, then started loosing, and gambled the rest away. Rob, on the other hand, did very well. His number was 17, and after it hit once, he put another chip on it, and it hit again! He ended up walking away $125 richer! Can't complain as he paid for most of the night, apart from dinner of course.

The next day we woke up to cloud, fog, and drizzle. Not exactly what I wanted for spending the day in the city, but what can you do. We jumped on the free city tram, and after three stops we were ordered off as it had faulty brakes. Awesome, what a start to the day!! We got off, and decided it was a good place to get some food. I found the fry shop had ordered a poutine :)))) Haven't had one in ages!! We got back on the tram and headed towards the Melbourne museum to check out the Titanic exhibition. We also got off this tram as it had to detour due to a rally! We decided maybe it was best if we just walked the rest of the way. Once we arrived at the exhibition, we discovered that they only let so many people in during the hour, and we would have had to wait nearly 3 hours to get in. So that was out of the question. The Imax was right next door, but the next showing of Shrek 3 wasn't for 2 hours. We walked back into the city, and headed towards Bourke Street mall. On the way we passed a place called Chill On, an Ice lounge. It was a bit pricey to enter, but we decided when else would we be able to drink in a large freezer :))) We had to bundle up in gloves, jackets and boots for me, it was -10 inside, and I forgot what -10 feels like! We had our drinks served in ice glasses, and surprisingly, it didn't stick to our lips!! We polished off our drinks, and after only 20 minutes (out of a max of 30 minutes allotted) we decided that was enough, it was time to leave! (I have no photos as we couldn't take pictures inside, but the link to website is:

We made our way to the mall and walked around a bit, but it was just like any other mall. In fact, we actually got lost in Myer's for about 30 minutes, seriously, there was no exit!!

We were back in Melton just before 4, and I was so relived as my foot was aching! That was the most walking I had done, and I was feeling it!

It was a fantastic birthday weekend, I seriously couldn't have asked for more! Bring on the year!

The room, can u see the wine already opened :)
Looking down into the city
Having fun!
One of the swanky bars we went to
My steak dinner, and wine of course!

1 comment:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Awww! Looks like you had a fantastic birthday! Happy Birthday!